Off Ward Canyon Road, the scenic Clifton Cemetery is the final resting place of many past Clifton residents. It is a quiet and historic place to visit and reflect on those departed.
Click here or the picture on the right for the location of the Cemetery
Clifton Cemetery in more recent history had three separate owners/managers; The Masons, The Elks and The Town of Clifton. If we trace the history back further there were private owners of the land that was obtained for purposes of the cemetery. We can also find where President Theodore Roosevelt signed the land over to individuals and organizations from the Federal Government between 1906 and 1908.
The Town now oversees the entire cemetery.
The local Masonic Lodge turned over or sold some of their portion of the cemetery to the Town of Clifton in 1917, at this time we can not determine when the rest of their portion was deeded over to the Town.
The local Elk's Lodge turned over or sold their section of the cemetery to the Town of Clifton sometime in the 20th Century.
The Town is working to update the cemetery records and to have all records available on our website. Identifying unmarked gravesites is an ongoing challenge, please be patient with us as we try and get all records updated. We would also gladly accept information and input from families with knowledge of burial information to help us with updating the records. Please contact Town Hall at 928-865-4146 for information on how you can help.